Saturday, January 17, 2009

Unexpected Blessing!

We had an Arctic week here! I live in Northern Indiana, and one night this week it dropped to -22*, not including any wind chill factors. Now, that's COLD folks!

I hate everything about being cold. Having to wear extra clothing, boots, mittens, the works. But, I have to tell you about a blessing anyway.

While it was -22* this week, we left our water running so it wouldn't freeze in the lines. But, one of us forgot to turn the hot water on too.. big mistake. We got up and of course, the hot water wouldn't run.

So, I called my local plumber, and he came out and worked on it. Poor guy was so popular that day, his cell phone kept ringing with people around town with the very same problem. He had to come and go, as we weren't quite sure where the frozen spot was. He put a small space heater near the water heater, thinking it was where it came into the house from the garage. But, it wasn't and he had to come back and do some more searching. Several hours later, he found it and got it running. During all of this he drained the hot water heater, cut some of the wall board out from behind my washer and dryer, and put in some new lines. It was frozen right by where the dryer vents outside. We were pretty pleased to have it working again.

Then I decided to get in a HOT bath, and I found my blessing!

When we moved into this house we noticed that the hot water took forever to get upstairs to the bathroom, and we didn't have much pressure on the hot side either. It was on our list of things to fix when spring arrived. But, when I turned on the hot for my bath, the water pressure was about doubled... and it got hot right away!

SO, the frozen water fixed our pressure problems! And now we can cross that off our list! I'm so thankful that I could find something positive about the whole experience.

No comments: