Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sewing

When I was a teenager, I learned to sew. I really did enjoy it, but, as most things in life, it seemed to be a phase. Other interests intruded in. Boys, dating, ball games, part time jobs. Then came marriage, kids, working, etc. In the back of my mind, I knew I could dig out the sewing machine and I would be able to pick it back up, but, would I really enjoy it? I didn't know.

Then the EMPTY NEST came.

You know about it, everyone that has kids that have left home warns you about it. You never really think it will hit you, but it does. And when it happens to you, you are so lost.

Erin had already left home, and though she wasn't married, I knew she wasn't about to move back home unless she was desparate.

Karissa was about to graduate college and we were planning a wedding. The graduation and wedding were plenty to keep my mind busy. But, the day came, that was over and the house was "empty of children". They had made their own lives. They were college graduates, working adults, one married. Now what did I do??

So, I told Mike I was buying a new sewing machine. I had one, but it didn't work, and I didn't want to spend the money fixing it. He kind of chuckled. He thought it would go the way of the treadmill and many other hobby ideas I thought I wanted to do. I found a inexpensive Singer at the local Wal Mart. And I began to sew. I took quilting classes. I made new friends. I found out that I'm more creative than I ever gave myself credit for.


I've spent alot of time with that sewing machine in the last couple of years. It has made clothing, quilts, placemats, scrub hats, stuffed animals and many other things. It has been my friend.

Now that I had proven that I would actually use my machine, I decided to buy a "super" machine. I did my research, went to the stores and took some test drives. Then I came home with a Viking Sapphire. I cleaned off the sewing table, and set it up. I felt like I was betraying my old Singer friend. So, I promised her I would at least take her for a spin once in awhile. And I do, she goes to sewing class with me. After all, she is lighter weight than the Viking. And she did teach me to love sewing again.

No comments: