Sunday, November 2, 2008

Adventures

There are a few observations I made as we were moving all our things from one house to the other that I thought I would share.

1. Nothing goes as planned. We said we would give ourselves 3 weeks to move. It's now been 5, I think, and we still have stuff in the garage at the old house.

2. The first thing I noticed in this house was the water pressure is weak. To say the least. It takes a good 30 minutes to fill a small bathtub.

3. You will find things that you don't remember having, forgot where you put them, or thought you threw away years ago.

4. If you are a pack rat, KNOCK IT OFF! You will regret it. How can one family of 2 people and 3 cats have so much to box up??

5. I bought a brand new Maytag range. Don't believe it when the tv commercials say that the Maytag repairman is bored. He's been to my house 2 times already. My brand new oven didn't heat up beyond 260 degrees.

6. The cable/internet/phone guy came to hook up the cable and internet. And although, the customer service person said they would hook all three things up at the same time, the guy couldn't or wouldn't hook up the phone. Just one more day I had to leave work early for a service person who says they will be at our house between 8:00 am and 5 pm. Thank goodness for flexibility at work.

7. The phone was hooked up, only to not work for 3 more days. Here we go again....

8. They reset the phone, and it work for one day. I've about given up on the phone. Now I know why people have given up their land lines.

9. Halloween in town is different than Halloween in the country. In the country, you might have 5-10 little kids, who you know all the parents and they have told you in advance that they will be bringing their kids by for candy. In town, every kid in a a 20 block radius comes to your house even though they don't know you. We handed out candy to over 100 goblins, princesses, various animals, jedi, spiderman, batman, etc before I ran out. Next year, I'll be more prepared. It was kind of fun though.

10. Over all, it's been a good thing. Lot's of hard work, but, hopefully worth the effort. When we were doing this, I should have written things down that I wanted to write about as I know there were many more observations than this. Somehow, now that we are pretty much finished, they don't seem as important or life changing as they did at the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this comment is late ... but as you pointed out in the other post, it's not like you were moving the stuff of just two people. Sorry. I really didn't think you guys would move this soon.

Love you, though.

Erin :-)

Laurie said...

You are funny.. yes it was really 2 households, yours and mine, and 3 cats. Plus your dad's collectibles. :)