Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My Hero

I haven't blogged much about my hubby, Mike. We've been married for 29 years (February 1979). Mike gets up at 4am every morning and goes to work at an RV factory. He is the foreman over the Mill Room, where they cut the wood for the whole unit.

During the last week, I've been plagued with poison ivy, which I think the cats brought, so, it's pretty normal for me to have an "itchy" spot. This morning about 3:45am I woke up and had to use the restroom, being half asleep at that early hour, I felt my head itch. Now I know you shouldn't scratch poison ivy, but it was early, and I reached in my hair to scratch it. I realized that I felt something that just couldn't be the poison ivy rash.

Now I'm starting to wake up, and I know that Mike is already up and getting around for work. So, I run down the steps, and ask him to take a look.

Being the subtle person that he is, he tells me it is a tick and I should consider going to the emergency room to have it pulled out.

Now I'm really awake. I'm also freaked out. There's a parasite on my head and poison ivy all over my body. What a mess.

Being me, I decide I'll just go back to bed and think it over. That lasted all of 60 seconds. Having a parasite on my scalp was really disturbing, so I get up again, and ask him if he won't try to pull it out.

We find some long matches and light one, blow it out, and Mike touches it to the embedded tick. It moved. So, now he thinks he can get it out and I won't have to go to the emergency room. We find a pair of tweezers, (why we didn't have these already is beyond me) and Mike lights another match. He touches the tick again, this time it feels hot on my scalp and bravely, I try not to yell. I know if I whine, yell or complain, Mike will stop, he wasn't too thrilled with the whole idea anyway. He takes the tweezers and pulls the tick off of my scalp. The tick is dead. I'm elated.

Mike is my Hero ...now if he could just cure the poison ivy...!!

No comments: