Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It all happend at work

Yesterday we had some excitement in the Town Hall. For those of you reading that don't know, I work for the Town of LaGrange in the Town Hall. In our building we also house the Fire Station and Police offices. Our Fire Department is all volunteers. Yesterday, our fire chief was available to give a summer school class a tour of the fire station to a group of kids. Things were going along as usual, when the town clerk came into my office and said one of the kids had passed out. So, thinking that these were 5-8 year olds, I figured the other adults out there may need a helping hand. Seeing a classmate pass out could be pretty traumatic right?!?!

So I run out to the fire station and low and behold these kids are not 5-8 yr olds, they are closer to 12-15 yrs. old. Needless to say, they didn't really need watching. They were all pretty calm about the whole thing.

Come to find out, the boy that passed out didn't wake up at the normal time, and didn't have time to eat breakfast. It was warm in the fire station, we don't run the a/c out there, and it has a certain smell, you know, exhaust mixed with fire smells, so possibly the combination of those things just didn't sit well with him.

I realized that people in the emergency services field run to help these people, then they don't ever know what really happened after. I saw the fire chief later in the day and I asked him how the kid was, and he didn't know. They treat the wounded, hand them off to the next set of medical staff, and don't look back.

Am I nosy? I don't know, but it bothered me all day that I don't know if the boy had a serious medical problem, or was just overcome with the smell, heat, and low blood sugar.

I don't know how they stand not knowing. Guess it's something you learn to live with.

No comments: