Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Building Walls

I had someone tell me once that they thought I was building walls around my heart. I didn't know this person, but, could feel that it was said to me with good intentions. It was said out of love and concern. So, why are walls a bad thing? People who have them are only protecting themselves right?

I also heard someone say that being shy is a form of 'selfishness'. Those of us that have struggled with shyness would undoubtedly argue with that notion, if we weren't to shy to do so.. :)

The reasoning was that by not expounding on your thoughts and knowledge the shy person is depriving others of their talents and gifts. So, with that in mind, I'd like to say that perhaps building walls to protect ourselves is also a form of selfishness. We are not allowing others in our lives, thus shutting out someone that may be able to help us grow. Yes, there is always a chance that someone may hurt us. But, with out those experiences, the good and the bad, we can't become the person that God wants us to be.

Remember, He will not let us down, betray us, or hurt us. Oh How He loves us!

What about tearing those walls down and letting others get to know you? What about opening yourself up and allowing your gifts to be heard and used? It's time to allow others in your life, to expand your horizons.

No comments: